Today on Meet the Press, President Obama told accused criminal David Gregory that, during his second term, he would put his “full weight” behind a gun control agenda.
He went on to mock the suggestion put forward by the NRA, state officials, and numerous law enforcement agencies that armed officers be placed in all schools.
This comment is particularly hypocritical because his own children (and those of Meet the Press host David Gregory) attend Sidwell Friends which has 11 armed security guards on staff in addition to the secret service detail they enjoy.
However, this kind of double-standard should come as no surprise to those who have been paying attention. Gregory himself remains under investigation for a televised violation of DC’s strict-liability magazine ban. And yet, no arrest has been made, nor will one. Why? Because he is a liberal Democrat who committed the crime in furtherance of the liberal agenda. They are immune to the laws which they want so desperately to enforce against the ‘great unwashed masses.’
You can watch the entire appearance below if you have the stomach for it.
In the meantime, Vice-President Joe Biden is in charge of the gun-control panel established by President Obama to draft a legislative response to the madman’s attack in Connecticut. Amazingly enough however, the panel is not drafting legislation strengthening our nations failing mental health programs but rather is focusing its efforts on drafting a new ‘assault weapons’ ban.
Biden, who drafted the first ‘assault weapons’ ban, has long bemoaned the fact that his first effort didn’t go far enough and is reportedly excited about making this legislation much more extensive. A bill put forward last week by Senator Diane Feinstein is a good indicator of what we might expect to see from the administration.
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms;
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Gives lip-service to protecting hunters by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment (see below);
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
In short, they are coming for your guns!
The great irony of this situation is that, during the 2012 election, the NRA predicted that President Obama was “coming for our guns” during his second term if re-elected. They based that assertion on a 2011 White House meeting between President Obama, Sarah and Jim Brady, and Paul Helmke.
In a subsequent interview with the Washington Post, Sarah Brady quoted Obama as saying that “We are working on (gun control), but under the radar.” The reaction to this by American gun owners, including those in the Democrat party, was swift and the Brady campaign quickly went into damage-control mode.
Helmke went first, downplaying the issue and telling the press that President Obama had made no specific promises to go after guns. Sarah Brady herself, properly chastised behind closed doors one would assume, went next saying that “What ever I might have said or agreed to was purely speculative as I never spoke to the president myself about this issue.”
Based upon Brady’s retraction, PolitiFact rated the NRA’s assertion as a ‘Pants-on-Fire‘ mischaracterization.
Apparently the NRA was right once again. They are coming for your guns, and those of you who voted for President Obama made that possible.
Do not make that mistake again! When push comes to shove, there apparently are no pro-gun Democrats.
© 2012, John Pierce. All rights reserved.